I love dates! They taste amazing and are probably the healthiest natural sweetener. I use them weekly in smoothies, cakes and everything. In this recipe the dates itself are in focus. This oven baked saffron dates recipe got the perfect balance of some of my favorite flavors: Dates, saffron, almond extract, ghee (you can also use olive-oil) and salt. The combination is heavenly good! Soft and chewy inside, a little crispy and slightly caramelized outside.
There is many variations of dates. Deglet nour (or noor) dates are the most commonly produced type. I prefer Medjool dates, which are larger, softer and sweeter.
Saffron almond dates
Soft and crispy, sweet and salty - These saffron almond dates are heavenly good. Perfect with cheese, as a snack, tapas or as a sweet treat after dinner.
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch saffron
- 11/2 tablespoons melted ghee/clarified butter (you can also use extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt
- 10 dates (I prefer Medjool dates)
- Heat the oven to 175C/ 350F
- In a small bowl, mix the almond extract and the saffron. Stir until the saffron releases its color. Let sit for some minutes.
- Stir the saffron mixture into the ghee / olive oil.
- Place the dates in an ovenproof baking dish. Pour the saffron mixture over the dates and toss to coat. Sprinkle with a bit of salt, and place in the oven. Let cook for about 5 minutes.When it´s heated through, switch to the broiler. Broil just until the tops of the dates darken a bit, not long at all.
- Serve warm.
If you do not have almond extract on hand you could try vanilla extract!
These saffron dates keep well for some time in the fridge as well. When it´s warm and summer, I actually prefer them cold. When cold they are less soft, but the ghee and hint of salt become more prominent, which is perfect for my taste!
These are so good! I made 10 of them, and I did eat all of them within less than an hour! Will make this again and again and again!
Courses tapas, snacks
Do you need to buy Ghee/Clarified butter or Medjool dates? Visit the shop and get the products delivered within few days!
WHAT IS YOUR…
What is your favorite recipe with dates? Have you tried to broil them? What is your favorite flavors to add? Comment below so I can do a recipe inspired by them. Let me know what you think in the comments, rate the recipe if you try it (it helps me improve them for you!), and if you make it at home share it on Instagram with #alalinn som I can see!
I really appreciate all the help you guys give me when using the links in this blog post to make your purchases. When you use these links, I may make a (very) small commission and this money goes directly towards paying for food products, server costs and website upkeep. You won’t pay a single cent more for your purchases by using these links. Thank you for your kind support.
* * *2