This whole grain spelt bread recipe is easy and tasty! The bread turns out perfect every time. It takes next to no prep time, keeps well and is perfect for toasting. Juicy and nutritious – love it!
Spelt (a type of wheat) is an ancient whole grain grown in many parts of the world. Ancient grains are claimed to be more nutritious and healthier than modern grains. Spelt is an important source of carbs, protein, fiber, iron and zinc.
Wholegrain (sammalt) spelt bread
Yield 2 breads
This spelt bread recipe is as delicious and easy to make as it is nutritious!
- 500 grams wholemeal/wholegrain (norwegian: sammalt) spelt flour (or white works just as well)
- 150 grams seed blend (+ some extra for topping)*
- 10-12 grams dried active yeast or 32-34 grams fresh yeast (Use a bit more yeast for the wholemeal flour as it's heavier and needs a bit more lift)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 500 milliliter water
- Some pumpkin seeds for topping
- Preheat oven to 200° C (390° F)
- Mix all dry ingredients together, dissolve the fresh yeast in warm water (dried yeast can be added to the flour/seed mix) and mix well with the water. It should be a very wet dough (like a cake mix)
- Brush 2 loaf tins with olive oil, fill with the mixture, brush top with some oil and sprinkle extra seed on top
- Place in pre-heated oven for 1 hour, then take out of the tin and put loaf back in for another 3-5 minutes
- Let it cool down and enjoy
Seed blends that works well with this recipe:
Alternative 1: 50 grams each of sesame seeds, flax seeds and oats
Alternative 2: 50 grams each of sesame seeds, flax seeds and sunflower seed
The flax seeds and oats can be whole or ground/meal
Courses breakfast, lunch, bread
WHAT IS YOUR…
What is your favorite spelt bread recipe? Comment below so I can do a recipe inspired by them. Let me know what you think in the comments, rate the recipe if you try it (it helps me improve them for you!), and if you make it at home share it on Instagram with #alalinn som I can see!5